When it comes to side salads, I make the same one. Every. Single. Time.
Romaine lettuce. Cherry tomatoes. Cucumbers. Green onions.
Sometimes I add parmesan cheese and croutons and top it with Caesar dressing, and sometimes I add blue cheese, dried cranberries and walnuts and top it with Vidalia onion dressing, but it’s pretty much the same thing every time.
At the beginning of brand new year, I decided to try a fresh approach.
Steak was on the menu in order to take advantage of a Christmas gift of gourmet chimichurri sauce. Chimichurri is a piquant sauce (or marinade) of Argentinian origin traditionally used on grilled meat, typically containing parsley, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and flakes of chili pepper. Way better than A1.
Corn seemed like an appropriate side dish, but corn is as boring as my boring side salad. How about a corn-salad mashup? So I created the following, and it was so good, I’m sharing it here:
Corny Salad Side Dish
- 1 15-ounce can of whole kernel corn
- 1/4 red pepper, diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon of pepitos (roasted pumpkin seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (or another oil-based salad dressing)
- A few dashes Chipotle Smoked Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fritos corn chips (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except Fritos. Toss and serve. Top with crunched up Fritos if desired. Serves 3 or 4.