A few unique ways to celebrate the season:
- I woke up this morning, the day after winter solstice, and announced the following to my Beloved: “Today is a special day because it’s all downhill from here — every winter day from now on will be longer!”
- My neighbor down the street corralled her brood and cajoled them into organizing all their toys. I thought this was a great idea three days before Christmas — to sort, store and possibly give away some toys in preparation for all the new ones at Christmas.
- A long distance friend on Facebook announced she had been the recipient of a Christmas Jar, and she encouraged her friends to google the concept, which I did and found a delightful way to make a charitable contribution without the bureaucratic middleman and with the certainty that you’re helping someone you really believe needs it. Check it out … http://www.christmasjars.com/index.html
- There’s nothing like soup to warm the soul when it’s cold outside. I made a big pot of Homemade Gourmet Chicken and Rice Creme Soup. Yum!
- The neighbors across the street stopped by with Christmas carols and a plate of cookies. What made their performance beautiful was that, with 11 or 12 children, they truly sounded like a choir! They were so cheerful and merry!
- I’m wrapping up my last day on earth as a 43-year-old by writing a blog post and enjoying a cup of creamy pumpkin spice coffee. Can’t slow time down, but I can savor it.